It’s very difficult to get good images when shooting from the hip. You are shooting blind when you can’t use the viewfinder at all. Don’t get disheartened when you view the results, as most of your images will not be up to your usual standard.
When you do street photography, take lots of images. The more images you take, the more likely it is that you will capture something worth keeping.
Your camera and your photo editing software can help you improve your street photography:
- You can use photo editing software to help you improve your images after the event.
- Use photography software to adjust the lighting in your pictures and on the faces of your subjects
- Don’t be afraid to use your camera’s auto settings. You can’t manually focus when you can’t look through the view finder.
- When you do capture something really good, you can crop it with your photography software to make it even better.
- You can also make sure your people look great with portrait editing software which can subtly tweak your portraits. Enhance the sparkle in their eyes, smooth the skin and show your subjects at their best.
Other things to remember when doing street photography:
Make sure you carry your business card when shooting street photography. It’s a good way to connect with the people you photograph. If they see you taking their picture, and you know it’s a good one, you might want to get their permission to use it, and they might want a copy of it.
Shooting from the hip implies being quick on the draw – to capture the image as soon as you see it.
But that doesn’t have to be the end of the story. You can take as long as you want to edit the images you want after you’ve taken them. Photo software Smart Photo Editor can give you some great, creative effects. And a bit of portrait retouching with Portrait Pro can make your people photos look fantastic. Try it for free here.
For more ideas on street photography, check out our board on Pinterest.